Subject: Re: pppd won't work from init?
To: Jukka Marin , Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/1998 23:18:53
On Oct 16,  6:33pm, Jukka Marin wrote:
}
} It works and does not detach from the shell.  This is what I have in
} /etc/ttys:
}
} tty00   "/usr/sbin/pppd tty00 38400"    unknown on

     This should probably have "rtscts" on the end of it.  A couple of
other things I did differently, was that I put the speed into
/etc/ppp/options.tty00, and didn't put any parametres into /etc/ttys.
init sets the controlling terminal to tty00, which is how pppd figures
out what terminal it should be on.  So, my line looked like this:

tty00	/usr/sbin/pppd		unknown	on	rtscts

} If I say
}
} /usr/sbin/pppd tty00 38400
}
} in shell, everything works,  I have /etc/ppp/options, /etc/ppp/options.tty00
} and the chat and connect scripts present.

     It would help a lot if you gave these files.  Obviously, you
should 'x' out any phone numbers or passwords.

}-- End of excerpt from Jukka Marin