Subject: Re: Support for AIC-7890, Intel 82558?
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: None <Geir.I.Jensen@Runit.Sintef.No>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/25/1998 08:33:07
On 24 Aug, Peter Seebach wrote:
> So far as I know, neither of these works today, although the 7890 may be
> fairly similar to the 7880, and likewise, the '558 could be fairly similar
> to the '557.  The reason I ask is that I'm spec'ing a system, and I want a
> couple more PCI slots than it looks like anyone will give me.  :(  One
> alternative would be to look at boards with built-in SCSI or Ethernet (to give
> at least one slot back), but it looks like the 100Mhz boards are doing
> slightly newer controllers...
>
> Feedback appreciated.

Have a look at http://www.qdi.nl/html/brilliant4.html

That card has the new chipset from Intel, but uses the 7880 and the
82557. I will probably buy one real soon (waiting for a success story
from a fellow NetBSD user ;). Too bad that we don't support the
raidport. It would have been a cheap ticket to raid-5. However, I don't
think it should be too hard to write a driver for it.

BTW! Unexpectedly I got a Mylex Dac960LB controller yesterday. I will
look into porting the ongoing FreeBSD driver to NetBSD. Are there any
cheap SCSI-to-SCSI solutions available?

Bye,
--
Geir Inge Jensen                                    gij@jk.priv.no