Subject: APM problems on ThinkPad
To: Port-i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/1998 22:46:19
Hi,

NetBSD -current (and 1.3.2) works quite well on IBM THinkPad 310E.
However, I have two problems with APM:

#1: When I use 'apm -z' to put the machine in low-power sleep mode and
    then reboot it, the NE2000 compatible Ethernet card no longer works
    (the kernel reports 'ne0: timeout').  I disabled APM in BIOS, but it
    didn't help.  Other than this, the hibernation mode seems to work ok.
    Any ideas?  I can now build -current kernels so I can try to debug
    this if someone gives me some advice.

#2: The battery status reported by 'apm' doesn't change when the battery
    is being used or recharged.  If the batter is full when the machine
    is booted up, the battery level according to apm stays at 100% for
    more than hour (ie. as long as I have used the machine on the battery).
    Also, the BIOS battery status display (activated with Fn + F4) stays
    at 100%, so it seems the BIOS isn't measuring the battery voltage at
    all.  However, when the AC adapter status changes (ie. I plug in the
    AC adapter or remove it), the battery status is updated.  For example,
    after using the machine for about 60 minutes on the battery, the status
    still claimed the battery was 100% full.  Then I plugged in the AC
    adapter and the battery status immediately dropped to 47%.
    Maybe the BIOS expects the OS to call some routine regularly to maintain
    an accurate battery status?

I have the APM document, but I haven't studied it yet.  Any suggestions
more than welcome!

  -jm