Subject: Re: de(4) and transmit underflow
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/1998 21:45:51
In article <19980420205107.24236@antioche.lip6.fr>,
	Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:
> Hum, wait a minute ... Why would the CPU speed get involed here ?

I didn't say anything about CPU speed, I said *system* speed.

> If I understand it correctly, the FIFOs are filled with bus-master DMA
> transfers, aren't they ?

Yes. And that's why a system with a slowish PCI bus - like my old 486
system - can get into trouble. The Pentium 100 is not that much faster
than a AMD K5x86-P75 (486@133MHz) but the Intel FX chipset is lots faster
than any 486 PCI chipset.

> I've just seen these kind of message on my PPro-200 with a 100Mb board,
> doing a large file copy. This host also have a aha2940 with an UW drive.
> Ethernet DMA may have been slowed down because of aha2940 tranfers.

I use a "de" network card and an Adaptec 2940 UW in a P200MMX system and
I don't see this problem. What chipset does your PPro board use? Older
PPro chipset weren't very fast either.

--
Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/