Subject: Re: ZIP? disktabs anyone? experiences?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Jeff Mitchell <skeezix@skeleton.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1998 01:33:06
On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> ATAPI ZIPs are supported by NetBSD-current, and there are a set of
> patches against 1.3 which will add support for them to 1.3.  (I don't
> recall where those patches are, though.)

	I upgraded my kernel from 1.3BETA to 1.3E (current), since the
	patch was screwy. (I can define that, if anyone cares).

	I popped the drive into the machine, it is correctly "probed" --
	the startup message is useful:

atapibus1 at wdc1
sd0 at atapibus1 drive 0: <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI, , 23.D> type 0
direct removable
sd0: 96MB, 32 cyl, 64 head, 96 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 196608 sectors

	Using this information, I whipped up a disktab:

zipdisk|ZIP 100MB:\
        dt=ESDI:ty=removable:se#512:ns#96:nt#64:nc#32: \
        pa#196608:oa#0:ta=4.2BSD:\
        pc#196608:oc#0:\
        pd#196608:od#0:

	(I've tried various dt= params.. ATAPI, SCSI, ESDI, IDE... even
	"foo", since dt will take anything, without disklabel crying out).
	I've toyed with other params as well.

	When I "disklabel -w -r sd0 zipdisk", the light flickers on
	the unit, and all seems well. When I disklabel -r sd0, however,
	it seems cool... but never has any partitions on it. As
	follows, for example..

freebase-tofu {125} disklabel -r sd0
# /dev/rsd0d:
type: unknown
disk: zipdisk
label:
flags: removable
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 96
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 6144
cylinders: 32
total sectors: 196608
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

0 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]

	It seems to take, since if I reboot and disklabel -r, it'll
	be the same information.

	If I try and newfs or mount anything, I always get "device not
	configured" errors. I commonly get some odd errors in dmesg..

sd0: bad sector table corrupted

	(There were others, in the past, due to me fiddling wioth drive
	params, but this is most common). Seems a likely response,
	given no partitions.

	Any ideas? Anyone gotten an ATAPI/IDE ZIP drive to work? How so?
Got a disktab you can send? Any steps how things were made to work?

		Jeff

--
"I'm CONSING NOW!" "Nature is for weenies." -- Hozhead