Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 and single board computers
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Mary Rivett <mrivett@flick.lerc.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1997 15:09:31
> In article <199712041652.LAA23049@flick.lerc.nasa.gov> you write:
> >> We have been running NetBSD on a PC/104 ISA embedded system for some time
> >> [...]
> >> custom hardware for measuring microgravity acceleration values. The
>
> Does this mean NetBSD will be seeing off-planet use in the future?

Yes. This project will measure the microgravity environment on the
International Space Station. It's a distributed system, consisting of
several of these PC/104 boxes and a larger TBD server. The first of the
PC/104 platforms is scheduled for delivery in 5/98 to the folks at
NASA-Marshall (who will integrate it with the rack), and then to the
folks at NASA-Johnson (for integration with the shuttle), and then for
launch to the space station in Jan. 2000.

BTW, since we obviously have to freeze things now at 1.2.1, and the
planned lifetime of this system is 10 years, will anybody be around
to answer NetBSD 1.2.1 questions in 2010?  :)