Subject: RE: Wierd experience attempting fresh install of 1.2.1 on a Dell
To: David Christiansen (NT) <davidchr@microsoft.com>
From: David Christiansen (NT) <davidchr@microsoft.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/1997 17:59:59
now, we've installed various 3com cards from the hardware compatibility
list.
In each case, 'bsd detects the card at the correct address and gives us
the right hardware address.

However, wierdness occurs when we try to use the card.

1. the link light does not come on at the hub where we plugged the wire
in
2. the link light _does_ come on intermittently when we ping another
host (never connects though).
    Apparently, the link only comes up when sending a packet.  That's
just a guess though.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?  I've installed NetBSD on a
few other machines with similar netcards, and I've never seen this
before.  The thought has hit that maybe the machine is cursed.  ;-)

Could NetBSD subtly not like the AMD 486/133 chip for some reason?