Subject: Re: i386 Install won't boot
To: D. J. Vanecek <djv@bedford.net>
From: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 12:21:59
> > Probably a problem with drive translation. It can help to put a 2 or
> > 3 meg dos partition on the disk and then use pfdisk to set the disk
> > geometery and put a netbsd partition on thr rest of the disk at the
> > right offset. then just use a boot manager to point at the different
> > partitions. The problem is ide and enhanced ide disk are to much of
> > a "Shape_shifter" and the boot code  misses the bootstrap binaries.
>
> Right, and it looks like the install procedure is trashing the partition
> table, too.

Put a little dos partition on the drive and then reboot and look at the
disk with pfdisk. not the offset and set up a NetBSD partition with
pfdisk. NetBSD partition number type is 165, I think.

Then use the install script in the install kernel /file system floppies.
Install script does note the dos partition and asks for the offset.
you might add one to the offset to "Waste" a little space between
the partitions. And don't allow it to erase the dos stuff. Then I
use System Commander to setup the BOOT between dos and NetBSD.
We also have used Booteasy. The System commander does a lot of the
dirty work for you....

Also one more thing to keep straight is how these things count.
Some of these programs start counting cylinders from zero and some from
one!!

Jeff