Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2.1 bootblock failure on Gateway P4D-66
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, Bill Squier <groo@guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 11:30:50
Excerpts from netbsd: 13-Aug-97 NetBSD 1.2.1 bootblock fail.. Bill
Squier@guinness.cs. (2686)

> After installing NetBSD on the primary IDE drive (wd0, PCI controller), the
> bootblock fails to load with a "Read error".  I'm unsure what's producing
> the message, but I assume it's the bootblock code.

Yes, this is the sector 1 code unable to read the remainder
of the boot code.
If there are no geometry problems, this can be a bug of the BIOS
not telling the right boot device to the bootcode. I observed
that with an older Phoenix BIOS.
You can either hardwire the boot device 0x80 in the boot code
or use a boot selector.

best regards
Matthias