Subject: Re: i386 Install won't boot
To: Ronald Khoo <ronald@demon.net>
From: D. J. Vanecek <djv@bedford.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/1997 03:46:51
> > > Probably a problem with drive translation. It can help to put a 2 or
> > > 3 meg dos partition on the disk and then use pfdisk to set the disk
> > > geometery and put a netbsd partition on thr rest of the disk at the
> > > right offset.
>
> I concur.  That's always cured the problem for me :-)
>
> > Right, and it looks like the install procedure is trashing the partition
> > table, too.
>
> Aha.  This is often a symptom of translation problems, the "disc label
> doesn't stick" problem where you write the label somewhere and it
> disappears, because the geometry is changed, so the label actually
> moved.

Where is the label supposed to go?  I am worried about that.

> > It sounds like I should be doing the entire installation manually, yes?
>
> No, I don't think so.  The only thing is to pre-prepare the drive
> by partitioning DOS partitions with a DOS fdisk, and using pfdisk
> to set the bsd partition id (165), and most importantly, to tell
> you what geometry to tell the netbsd installation script.  Don't
> use what the kernel tells you.  Use what pfdisk tells you.

Ok... did that: pfdisk make two partitions, one of them
cyl 1-2, the other 3-619.

DOS format and install on 1. OK.

Instal OS-BS (1.35) for "laughs".

Do BSD install.
	I)  tell install script "LBA" params (620/64/63).
	Tell install script, offset of BSD is "3 cylinders".
	Copy_kernel.	RESULT:  Hung system
	Reboot, partition table, os-bs, and DOS are OK. Boot dos.
	OK.

	II) tell install script "physical" params (2485/16/63) as
	reported by kernel. Tell install script, offset is "12 cylinders",
	(== 3 LBA cylinders).  RESULT: Hung system
	Red switch, partition table os-bs DOS still OK.

Sigh.

Question: *where does label go*? Should my offsets, "where BSD starts",
be increased??

Dave

--
   "But the power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy, except in
   those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous."