Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 processor recommendation
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1997 23:34:48
> benchmarks.  The thing some people in the FreeBSD groups are finding
> out with the K6 is that you must have a motherboard with a very well
> made voltage regulator, or you can get some sporadic behavior.  The K6
> draws some serious amperage, and some cheaper motherboards simply
> can't keep it fed.  If you buy a K6, make sure your motherboard is
> approved for it, and if not, consider getting a board that is.

The unfortunate thing is, we *did* buy the AMD approved motherboards.
Two different ones on their list.  No difference, and the real issue
appears to be that the K6/166 parts are simply flakey.  We talked to
Linus Torvalds about this as well and he reports similar problems over
in the Linux camp.  My best guess is simply that AMD is having fab
problems with the 166Mhz parts (or perhaps "did", and now we're just
seeing the older stock escaping from distributors and screwing people
up) since we haven't gotten any such reports from people using the
faster parts.

"Oh well" - we are trying to work with AMD in resolving this, but so
far their only measure of cooperation is to deny any culpability.
Such a shame, since I'd hoped for more from AMD.  I hence remain a
staunch P6 advocate and will continue to use the P6/200 parts in all
my own machines.

					Jordan