Subject: Re: Cyrix 6x86-166+ problems (?)
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/1997 09:45:42
>Jukka Marin wrote

>> > a while ago a friend of mine reported problems getting 1.2.1 to
>> > work on a Cyrix-based box.  Recently I had the "pleasure" of
>> > trying to install NetBSD-current (1.2G) as of less than a week
>> > ago on a system claiming to have a 6x86-P166+ CPU at 133MHz.
>> > It's a system with 3 IDE disks, 2 SCSI disks on an Adaptec 1542
>> > and a PCI bus.  As far as I know the bus-dma updated adaptec
>> > driver should be included in this kernel.

>> I was running NetBSD on 6x86 for about 6 months with zero problems.
>> The machine was purchased in December 1996.  Last month, I replaced
>> the motherboard and CPU to get a better performance (I now run
>> windoze on the Cyrix CPU).
>>

>I am running NetBSD-1.2G on Octek Rhino 9 with a 6x86P120+ - no problems...
>Well routed and route have a problem but this seem to be a bug rather
>than the CPU and hence use an older version for now.

Right here in front of me I have a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ with 77 days
uptime.  It's running in an Asus P55TP4N (Triton 1) motherboard.
Running NetBSD 1.2 with most of the 1.2.1 patches.  However, I *did*
have to upgrade my BIOS from the Asus web site before the chip would
run reliably in my motherboard.  The BIOS that came with the board
didn't know how to make it work correctly.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net