Subject: Re: XFree86 3.3, NetBSD 1.2G, Matrox Millennium Config Problem
To: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@tater.mines.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/1997 06:02:16
On 7 3, Gary D. Duzan wrote:

>    I just upgraded my system (basically everything except the disks),
> compiled XFree86 3.3 from source, ran xf86config, and got this:
>
> --
[snip]

> Fatal server error:
> xf86MapVidMem: Address 0xffefc000 outside allowable range

  I just ran into this a couple of days ago--the server apparently needs
linear framebuffer access (as far as I can tell, this is not documented),
so you'll need either to use the aperture driver (which doesn't seem to be
included anywhere in the set of precompiled binaries--is it available with
the source?) or add "options INSECURE" to your kernel config and rebuild
the kernel.  The latter, of course, means you take the risks associated
with running with securelevel=-1.