Subject: RE: Lost masterpwd.db
To: port-i386@NetBSD.ORG <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Hicks <steve@bucket.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/19/1997 18:33:43
Hello all.

I have been experiencing some problems with my passwd file and I
was wondering while people were thinking about such things, if they'd
like to help.

I have a copy of NetBSD-sparc 1.2 running on a Sun Sparc IPX.

When I edit the passwd file using vipw, I can make changes (or not),
then when I try and save them, the machine core dumps and reboots.

This has been working find for a few months now, but all of a
sudden, seems to be killing the machine. Any ideas?

On Sunday, May 18, 1997 11:44 PM, danielh@uol.com.br
[SMTP:danielh@uol.com.br] wrote:
> 	Dear people from NetBSD,
>
> 	I have installed the system correctly and changed the password for
> 	root
> for another password.
> 	Until yesteray, all was working fine, but today, when I was trying
>
> put some users in the masterpwd.db file, i think i hae made a mistake
> and
> deleted the users that was on it. Now the system reboots fine but
when
> the
> password for root is asked I can't access the system anymore.
> 	I noticd that ptmp file appeared. After some tries i think i have
got

> the access to the shell but i can't modify the masterpwd.db file and
> make a new
> database for it.
> 	Please, how can I gain access to the old file again?

--------
All the best
                                               steve@bucket.org
Steve Hicks