Subject: Re: NetBSD & WinNT on one huge EIDE disk.
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@media-city.com>
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1997 13:13:07
Alicia da Conceicao drunkenly mumbled...

>      I know that DOS & Win95 cannot access more than 1024 cylinders.  Does
> anyone know if Win NT 4.0 can?  Also how am I to partition my large disk in
> half, in such a way that I can boot from both NetBSD & WinNT, when about an
> eight or so of the disk lies below 1024 cylinders?  Also what type of boot
> manager can I use to boot NetBSD and WinNT from the same drive.

i don't have any experience using WinNT and NetBSD together and my WinNT
experience is very limited.  HOWEVER!!!!!  i must advise that you don't just
split the drive in half.  make 2 partitions for NT (system slice and data
slice) because there is a very large chance you will need to re-install NT
down the road.  trust me, it *will* happen.  if your data is on one slice and
your OS on the other when it comes time to re-install NT you don't lose any
of your hard work.  since this is recommended, NT's boot-slice and NetBSD's
boot-slice can both exist below 1024.

it is also recommended that you put / and /usr on different slices under UNIX.
me? i always create the following slices (for any unix, NetBSD, Linux, Solaris,
doesn't matter) ::

/
/usr
/var
/tmp
/usr/local
/export/home
swap

just my $0.02

-brian

--
The fundamental difference between Unix and the Macintosh operating system is
that Unix was designed to please programmers, whereas the Mac was designed to

=== End Transmission ===