Subject: Re: Question regarding Adaptec 2940 and IDE drive.
To: Vince Mammoliti <vince@homepage.ca>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/11/1997 19:29:48
My Guess is still some sort of hardware problem.  Generally there
isn't any problem with using a SCSI and IDE together (there is no
reason for there to be, except for maybe an IRQ conflict).  Try checking
the SCSI FAQ, they might have something (sorry, I don't know the URL
offhand).

Hope this helps,
	Rick

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Vince Mammoliti wrote:

> Well I have more info. I tried it again. I was always able to see both
> drives. The problem occurs then tring to copy from the IDE to the SCSI drive.
>
> Now I get the following message:
>
> sd0(ahc1:0:0): data overrun of 1677725 bytes detected. Forcing a retry.
>
> and then I unable to do anything. The numlock is not frozen and if I do
> type I get the characters on the console.
>

> Any idea ?
>
> Vince
>

> On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:
>
> > > I assume you mean "Does NetBSD support an IDE drive concurrently with a
> > > SCSI drive", and the answer is yes (AFAIK).
> >
> > Absolutely YES.  We do this on almost every machine we have (or maintain).
> >
> > > We did that for a bit at IAW
> > > when a SCSI crahed and we only had an IDE for replacement.  I think the
> > > only limitation is that you have to boot from the IDE (becase of the BIOS
> > > I believe).
> >
> > No, you can boot from the SCSI disk if your bios supports the SCSI card.
> > I disabled my IDE disk in bios and now the system boots off the SCSI
> > disk.  NetBSD still recognizes the IDE disk, so I can still use it
> > normally.  I have a NCR810 SCSI card which is supported by my bios.
> >
> > Never had problems when using the IDE and SCSI disk simultaneously..
> >
> >   -jm
> >

> > --
> >
> >                      ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/