Subject: RE: Installation Questions
To: Seth Owen <Seth@PCHELP.inc.net>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/1997 18:39:55
I've gotten those a fair bit in the past also.  I allways assumed they
were caused by minor defects in the disk.  Using a different disk seemed
to do the trick.  I think soft errors are recoverable though.  If you see
hard errors, then you could loose data.  NetBSD probably complains on the
first timeout It gets, where as so called "operating systems" like dos,
will try multiple times before reporting an error.

Anyway, if you're just getting soft errors, it'll probably work anyway.
I've never noticed any data corruption due to soft errors.  It wouldn't
hurt to use a different disk though...

	Rick

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Seth Owen wrote:

> I'm getting these errors during install also, any ideas as to why?  Is
> it a problem, or can you have a full function NetBSD 1.2?
>
> Haven't see any responses to Allen's problem on the list.
>
> Seth Owen (seth.pchelp.inc.net)

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/