Subject: Re: hardware compatibility
To: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/16/1996 07:33:23
In Message <31EA2458.15FB7483@columbia.edu> ,
   "Nathaniel D. Daw" <ndd2@columbia.edu> wrote:

=>I am in the midst of putting together a shopping list for a new
=>computer, and I had several questions about hardware compatibility.
=>
=>2) If not, which of the current GUS cards is the one to get? There was
=>traffic recently about the GUS PnP; did anyone ever get it to work?

   It seem the only cards that Advanced Gravis is selling these
days are the UltraSound PnP and the UltraSound PnP Pro. The PnP
model has no RAM on board and so is incompatible with the existing
driver.  However, it can be upgraded using SIMMs, or you can go
with the PnP Pro which has RAM on board already. There has been
anecdotal evidence on the list recently that this Just Works with
the existing gus driver. I'm not certain of full duplex status. I
have a RAMless GUS PnP, myself, and will be looking at the possibility
of adding support for it as I get time. Also, I have a copy of the
FreeBSD PnP driver which should take full advantage of the card's
capabilities, including full duplex operation, so I'll see if I
can get it to fit in the NetBSD framework. It doesn't support
RAMless operation either, though, so I'd have to hack that a bit
as well. In any case, if you want to do anything serious with it
you probably want a card with RAM, so you would probably want that
anyway. I'll probably add RAM to my card later, but for now I want
to get some device driver experience.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computing Arts