Subject: Re: -current (1.2A-960626) snapshot available
To: Webmaster Jim <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/1996 13:15:05
On Fri, 12 Jul 1996 14:59:29 -0400
 jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Webmaster Jim) wrote:

 > I had gotten patches from "explorer" to run my 2842, but haven't been
 > able to apply them for various reasons.  If the card is broken,  then why
 > does it work fine with FreeBSD (please no flames, I'm forced to use
 > FreeBSD because of this and I'm trying to get away from it)?

Under FreeBSD, the EISA bus space is probed if an EISA device is
configured into the kernel, even if there is no EISA bus in the machine.
This is a hack, and doesn't work for all VLbus cards; Justin indicated to
me that they did this specifically to cater to the 284x cards.

I've almost finished the "ISA" front-end the the ahc driver.  If you'd
like to test a kernel for me, let me know.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --