Subject: Re: Parallel port woes --- still not solved
To: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1996 23:23:23
> > So personally, I'd just use the polling driver :-)  Is there a reason you
> > really want to get the interrupt driven one working?
>
>Not really, besides the fact that it is hard to understand why an
>operating system in the year 1996 should not be able to handle the
>interrupts. :-)

Well, it doesn't matter how new the operating system is; if the hardware
doesn't support interrupts correctly (like many parallel port implimentations),
what are you supposed to do?

> > but I suspect your hardware is slightly out-of-spec.
>
>The printer on-/offline signal? Hard to imagine, frankly. Even 'out of
>paper' doesn't sound like something too esotheric IMHO.

Those are status lines that are part of the parallel port spec.  It really
sounds like those lines aren't connected up at the other end and they
are just floating.

> > You could always comment those messages out in the driver source.
>
>You're kidding, right? :-)

Not at all.  Think of it this way; perhaps other operating systems are seeing
the same thing happening on your parallel port, and just aren't telling you?
Maybe the manufacturer of your printer didn't bother connecting up those
lines since it didn't affect the printer's operation under MS-DOS.

--Ken