Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1996 08:24:33
On Tue, 04 Jun 1996 10:29:32 +0100
 "Neil J. McRae" <neil@domino.org> wrote:

 > On Fri, 31 May 1996 14:03:47 +0200
 >  Anders Eriksson <Anders.C.Eriksson@telia.se> wrote:
 >
 > > Intel ADVANCED/EV PCI motherboard
 > > P100
 > > AMI Flash bios
 > > 256 kb pipeline burst cache
 > > 16 Mb EDO RAM
 > > 2 channels PCI EIDE hd controller
 > > 850 Mb WDC EIDE hd
 >
 > I would pay the extra and get a quantum fireball.

...I'd avoid the Quantum, and get Fujitsu drives.  I've had no end of
trouble with Quantums and Seagates, and I've _never_ had a problem with a
Fujitsu drive...'Course, this assumes getting SCSI...

 > > ATI Mach 64 PCI, 1 Mb graphics card
 > > Soundblaser AWE 32
 > > Mitsumi FX600 6x CD-rom

...and if you do go the SCSI route, get a SCSI cdrom drive :-)

I'm guessing this particular Mitsumi drive is ATAPI?  Well, with any luck
ATAPI will be in 1.2.

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----