Subject: Re: Future hardware concerns
To: None <jmc@pobox.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1996 09:40:57
> This is with 3 scsi drives and cdrom hanging off of it. I run all the
> standard accounting plus all my daily stuff (sup, mail, etc) so I know the
> disks get a good pounding during various portions of the day. This
> is with both the older ahc driver and the newer one Charles just committed.

If you never had problems with it, the reason is probably that your
disk drives weren't tickling the bug.   It's unfortunately not very
interesting when somebody reports that they're not having trouble with
a piece of hardware with which other people are having trouble - all
it really means is that you're lucky, not that the driver's reliable.

David Brownlee apparently *was* having trouble with the old driver and
is not having trouble with the new, though, which is encouraging.
When I install 1.2 on my production server, I'll see if the Adaptec
controller works any better for me...

			       _MelloN_