Subject: Re: Serial changes 1.1-current
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/1996 16:03:56
In message <199605020404.AAA13987@repeat.pci.on.ca>, dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca
writes:
>	I recently had to revert back to 1.1 on my 386/40 box for
>various reasons.  However, I'm finding the following curious problems
>with my 16550's --- I can call with pppd just fine... and even run at
>38400 with my 28800 modem.  However, uucico fails with just a few
>incoming bytes.  I cannot explain why.

  As I sent to the current mailing list a while back, with a current
kernel groups of characters are dropped left and right nearly making the
serial device unusable.  One other person said they say similar problems
but as to my knowledge nothing changed to correct the problem.

>	One difference that I noticed was a change of size from 2*256
>to 2*512 in one of the buffers.  I changed this to 2*1024 just to be
>extra big, but the problem persists.
>
>	I had many troubles with my previous upgrade to current, and
>would rather avoid that.  Is there anything I can do here save buying
>a 'smart' serial card?

  After having a day that was a little frustrating the following may
sound harsh.  I fail to understand why a "smart" serial card would be
required.  An OS would have to be very special to survive if they force
people to get special hardware.  I fail to see the view of some people
that seem to think that an OS should not make up for the limitation of
the hardware and instead push the people into buying special hardware.
I intend to purchase a PCI MB so I do not care about "that ISA
problem" which NetBSD will probably never overcome officially but a
working serial device is very important to us poor guys that lack a
better network interface.

  The work that has been done on NetBSD is fantastic and the people that
are reasonable should be applauded but occasionally switching to another
OS seems to be a solution.

  Thank you.

---
Kent Vander Velden