Subject: Re: Adaptec AHA-2940UW
To: Amir Y. Rosenblatt <amir@garpac.com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/1996 20:41:26

>Just to confirm (as I prepare to place my order) is the 2940UW host
>adapter card NetBSD compatible?  I know the 2940W is (at least according
>to the install notes) and just wanted to check on the 2940UW.  the U is
>for Ultra-Wide as opposed to just Wide.  Thanks in advance.
>
>	-Amir

Support for the  Ultra 2940 (aka aic7880 based controllers) was added to
the FreeBSD driver (upon which the NetBSD driver is derived) in October
of last year.  Unfortunately, the version in NetBSD dates back to May
of 95 and is missing some significant stability enhancements as well
as the support for the aic7880.  There is a port of the newer driver
around, and I'm sure that it will make it into the NetBSD tree eventually,
but someone should really import the FreeBSD driver on a vendor branch
to properly track its development.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations