Subject: Re: AHA 2742 drivers
To: None <explorer@flame.org, soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/1996 04:35:31
> >Isn't This way (scan slots) usable for AHA-2842 (VL) ?
> >FreeBSD seems to use same way for 2742 and 2842.
>
> Yes, but I don't think it is on _all_ VLB cards.  If all cards ``look
> like'' EISA, I'd be willing to blidly scan all possible ports looking
> for cards.  However, I suspect only the AHA cards do this because of
> an internal VLB <-> EISA conversion.

OK. How about using the following approach and sharing same aheprobe()
between 2740 and 2840 ?

	if (ia->ia_iobase != IOBASEUNK)
		return aheprobe1(ahe, ia);
	for (all slots) {
		if ((EISA Vendor and Model ID) is match) {
			ia->ia_iobase = 0x1000 * slot;
			if (aheprobe1(ahe, ia))
				return 1;
		}
	}
	return 0;

This approach is what aha1742.c:ahbprobe() does.

# BTW, I am sleepy, good night (or evening or afternoon or morning)! :-)
--
soda@sra.co.jp		Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)		   software tools and technology group