Subject: Re: 8-port serial cards?
To: Operator <oper@mikrobitti.fi>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/11/1996 09:24:46
In message <199601110910.LAA15836@dns.mikrobitti.fi>, Operator writes:
>I'm looking for a card with its own CPU to minimize the main CPU
>load.  The cards should support 38400 bps at least, 115200 would
>be better.

I know this may not directly help you, since I think these cards are
unsupported, but the Rocketport 8/16 cards I saw were _really_ impressive.
And, they also were the cheapest!  Linux has drivers for them, I think.
If you're wondering how they made them cheaper & better, I think the key
is that they integrated a whole buncha stuff on an ASIC... flow control &
all that junk.  Down side is that they wouldn't give me programming specs,
even in exchange for the driver, for security/asset protection reasons.

If anyone wants to do a public service, go bug 'em until you get the specs
then write the driver :) Repitition works.  Repetition works.  Repetition.
Or dis___emble the Linux loadable driver (did I say that? who, me?)
Of course, I have no affiliation with these guys, I don't even own one of
their cards :)