Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: Patrick Arnoux <parnoux@orli.com>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/1996 10:38:02
> Because of the above statements, I have to ask:
> 	Do any of the current drivers for ISA DMA cards work on the
> Alphas. And furthermore, would any ISA DMA driver written for
> the Alpha work on other architectures. (Just a thought)

currently, no, because i've rewritten most of the ISA interfaces in
some way or other, and i've not ported any of the ISA DMA cards
(because i only have 1 that i can actually spare to use in an alpha).

That one is the wss, and a driver, with few modifications from the
i386 version, worked fine on the alpha until i re-worked some support
code and never updated it.

It's not "would any", the correct question is "why wouldn't one."
_EVERY_ ISA DMA device driver, if "properly written" should work on
the i386 and the alpha (and other machines which support ISA, like the
amiga), with no #ifdefs.

That's not possible with substantially rewriting some of the drivers,
though.  the current ntion of "machine-independent" ISA drivers is
complete crap.  the drivers in dev/isa are drivers that _could be_
made MI, really.

chris