Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of isa
To: None <david@mono.org>
From: David Mazieres <dm@amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/1995 00:25:22
> Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 09:43:15 +0000 (GMT)
> From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
>
> 	Its quite likely the bios is remapping the memory between 640k and
> 	1mb above 16mb. I'd have a wade thru the bios setup & see if you can
> 	disable this.
> 	I had a similar spec but with 32mb & I needed to keep all 32, so
> 	I switched to OpenBSD :), but you should be able to get NetBSD up ok
> 	with your setup....

I, too, have 32Mb and an aha1542.  I hacked machdep.c to limit my
memory to 16 Mb, but am basically swapping constantly.  Can you say
something about how different OpenBSD is from NetBSD and how hard it
was to switch?

First, is it possible to run an OpenBSD kernel with the rest of the
system (including init, ps, netstat, etc.) from NetBSD?

Failing this, is it possible to build and install OpenBSD from a
NetBSD system?  I presume all my /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 software
will also still work under OpenBSD?  Will stuff compiled under OpenBSD
also run under NetBSD?

Alternatively, where are the bounce buffers implemented in OpenBSD?  I
downloaded the actual aha1542 driver but it was identical to the
NetBSD one.  Is there some piece of code from OpenBSD that I can drop
into the NetBSD kernel?  (I don't care how inelegant it is--I need to
stop swapping!)

Thanks,
David