Subject: Re: serial related crash
To: Robert Dobbs <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/14/1995 21:20:15
>I'm running a Netbsd 1_1_Alpha Kernel on an i386 @ 20Mhz.  The serial port
>is a Hayes ESP card, which works flawlessly.

Mine is a Hayes ESP in a 486DX2/80.

>The other day I wanted to make ppp redial, so I just flipped power to the
>external modem off.  The machine responded by locking solid.  No errors,
>no pings, no disk activity, no network activity; required punching the reset
>button.  This is the sort of thing I used to see when I was using SLIP and
>a set of nasty scripts to bring up and maintain the slip line.

I've seen exactly the same behavior, occasionally.  Every now and then
my modem will get in a funky state, and I'll just reach over and flip
it off, then back on.  This used to be a painless fix.  Since
upgrading from 1.0 to current, however, it can cause these lockups.
(Yes, I'm running with my ESP-patched com.c driver now, but I'm almost
positive that it did it even with the stock driver.)

I hate to mention the only other operating system I've seen lock up in
the exact same circumstances... but it starts with "Win", and ends
with "95". ;-)

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...