Subject: Re: linelength >1024 in /etc/group urgent
To: None <juergen.baier@mcnet.ch, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/30/1995 10:25:00
}Hi there I'm using NetBSD 1.0 on 486/66.
}I cannot enter new users in a group since the linelength got
}longer than 1024 bytes. The result is that the
}programs like chgrp consider the group as invalid.

You do not need to put a given username in the entry for a given group unless
that group is not the default group for the username in the password file.  In
other words, if the gid for "users" is "1000" and "1000" is the gid specified
for a username in the password file, that username does not need to be listed
in the group's entry in the group file.

If you are trying to create a non-default group with more than 1024 characters
worth of users, you do have a problem.  :-/

}Please answer fast since I have already 20 people waiting to be able
}to use this system.

Hope this helps!

}Thanks
}