Subject: Re: Where did GENERICAHA and GENERICBT go?
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/1995 10:43:22
John F. Woods said something not totally unlike...

  |> % ls -la netbsd
  |> -rwxr-xr-x  1 cgd  cgd  1221364 Apr 17 07:31 netbsd
  |> % size netbsd
  |> text    data    bss     dec     hex
  |> 1048576 57344   93624   1199544 124db8
  |
  |Wow.  And I thought the 820K kernel I run with was porky.  :-)

Has anyone put any thought into a compressed kernel similiar to what
linux does?  It's not a bad setup especially if you like to boot your
test kernels from floppy.

I just wish Linus would add an initial boot routine similiar to NetBSD
where you can specify which kernel to use.

--
Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg                I'm not mental...
SAIC UNIX/Netware Computer Type Guy       I'm just on higher philosophical