Subject: Re: Wangtek DC-600 and wt0 Driver
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/1995 10:10:00
In article <m0rjO2p-0001uIC@giant.mindlink.net> Curt Sampson  wrote:
: I've hooked up my old Wangtek DC-600 (60 MB 1/4" cartridge tape) drive
: and compiled a kernel with the wt driver. wt0 is probed and identified
: on boot, but I'm having problems using it. If I try to read from the
: tape with a dd from /dev/rwt0, I get perhaps a block and then a huge
: stream of "dma channel 1 not finished" errors. All I ever get from the
: tape is nulls.

I just started seeing this too.  The comments around the code that
spits out this message is pretty scary:

        /* XXX probably should panic or something */
        log(LOG_ERR, "dma channel %d not finished\n", chan);

I was beginning to suspect hardware problems.  I am running a 486DX/33
on an EISA MB and a Wangtek drive and controller.  I also have a SCSI
card and drive.  Perhaps if others who have this problem tell us their
setup we can figure out where the commonality is.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid.com)  |   Democracy is three wolves and a
Planix, Inc., Toronto, Canada       |   sheep voting on what's for dinner.