Subject: Re: Mounting a 2nd CF in a ibm z50
To: oski <oski2001@hotmail.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/16/2005 16:29:43
On 12/16/05, oski <oski2001@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed netbsd 2.1 using ftp and went like a charm without any
> problems.
> Now I would like to install some of the packages compiled by Nicholas
> Melnick. I downloaded the packages to a CF formatted as FAT, one partitio=
> only and using my windows box. I did that in the past without problems bu=
> this time did not work.
> I am doing the following:
>
> 1. Insert the CF using an adapter in the PCMCIA slot. The CF is correctly
> identified as wd1.
> 2. Doing "mount -t msdos dev/wd1d /mnt1" I get a "no disk label "
> 3. I did "disklabel wd1" and got a fictitiuos disklabel indicating 8
> partitions with partitions d  e  f g  and h unused.
> 4. Doing "disklabel -e wd1" I get a "/dev/rwd1d: device busy" answer.
> 5.Doing "mount -t msdos /dev/wd1d /mnt" i get a "device busy" answer.
>
> I read the instructions of mounting a msdos file systems, but can not
> reproduce it.
> What I am missing or doing wrong??????
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have this in my howto for NetBSD on
a Mobilepro 880:

WinCE uses fdisked drives.  You might want to try the following:

* boot NetBSD INSTALL kernel

* exit sysinst and run fdisk from the command line:
 $ fdisk -u wd0

 * make partition 0 type 6 (16-bit FAT), and make it big enough to
hold hpcboot.exe, a gzipped INSTALL kernel, a real kernel, and perhaps
some work area for other kernels and/or storing WinCE data

   * make partition 1 type 169 (NetBSD), sized for the rest of the disk
   Write down the absolute start sector number and raw sector count of the
   16-bit FAT partition.  Then:

   $ dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/wd0d bs=3D512 seek=3DSTART count=3D20

   where START is the starting sector of the FAT partition -- this will pro=
mpt
   WinCE to reformat it.  Then reboot into WinCE and tell it Yes to format =
the
   now-shrunken FAT partition.  (WinCE 2.1/2.11 has some kind of oddness in=
 its
   FAT implementation; it's best to let it format a repartitioned card.)

(Note by Andy: After you boot into WinCE to let it format your card,
your next step is to use disklabel to format the NetBSD partition if
you choose to extract the sets manaully. If you want to use sysinst
[aka the install kernel], I believe it will format the rest of the CF
card for you and you don't have to bother with disklabel until you use
sysinst.)

   When you boot back into NetBSD, you'll have the ability to use the
   NetBSD-fdisk'ed partition completely isolated from the FAT side.  You ca=
   use the absolute sector start and count of the FAT partition in a custom=
ized
   disklabel to get access to that partition from the NetBSD side.

Andy