Subject: Microdrives in the CF slot?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/18/2005 23:47:16
Hello all. Another question:

I'm looking to buy a microdrive to put into the CF slot of my
Mobilepro 880. I don't care if the drive works with any other device
right now.

I've been looking at these Seagate Microdrives that are showing up on
Ebay, pulled from MP3 players.

Apparently some of them that come out of MP3 players come with a
firmware that locks the drive into a certain mode which may make it
incompatible with some devices.

This firmware apparently locks the drive into IDE mode. Apparently
this is fine if you are using a USB card reader on a computer, but it
won't work in some cameras and other devices.

The other mode they use is CF I/O according to what I've been reading,
and this works like a normal CF card I believe. This should work I'm
guessing.

Does anyone know if either mode will work in the CF card slot of the
Mobilepro 880?

If not, my other choice is a retail version of the Hitachi 4 gig card,
which costs about the same as the Seagate 5 gig that has been taken
from a device... Hmm...

Since I have functioning stereo audio now via my Turtle Beach USB
adapter, I can store my MP3 files and listen while I'm hacking around
with NetBSD...

Thanks for any help.

Andy