Subject: Re: Psion Netbook support?
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: David Given <dg@cowlark.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/08/2006 11:53:23
Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
[...]
> The problem is that the docs for the proprietary system ASIC used in
> the Series 7/Netbook are not publicly avialble.  I think Linux folks
> had a special deal with Psion PLC to get access to the docs.

I do actually have Linux running on it (it's recompiling the kernel right=
 now,
very slowly), but it's a very old version and hardware support is poor. I=
 was
hoping that NetBSD's better modularity would give better support for thin=
gs
like the PCMCIA, which should hopefully be largely generic SA1100.

Is there really not enough information available in the Linux kernel sour=
ce to
implement all this in NetBSD?

=2E.. time passes ...

Oh, dear. Comments in the Linux source code along the lines of:

	/* What's this anyway? */

=2E..do not inspire confidence.

[...]
> I gave my Series 7 away - I could keep either 7 or Jornada 690 from
> the surplus hardware pile we had after a project that used them was
> cancelled - and concentrated on 690 (hpcsh) instead :)

Yes, I scrounged mine from work too. I actually also got a Victor MP-C101=

hpcmips device too, but that's a story for another mailing list. (NetBSD
doesn't run on that, either. Sigh...)

--=20
=E2=95=AD=E2=94=80=E2=94=88David Given=E2=94=88=E2=94=80=E2=94=80McQ=E2=94=
=80=E2=95=AE "There are two major products that come out of
=E2=94=82=E2=94=88=E2=94=88dg@cowlark.com=E2=94=88=E2=94=88=E2=94=88=E2=94=
=88=E2=94=82 Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be
=E2=94=82=E2=94=88(dg@tao-group.com)=E2=94=88=E2=94=82 a coincidence." --=
- Jeremy S. Anderson
=E2=95=B0=E2=94=80=E2=94=88www.cowlark.com=E2=94=88=E2=94=80=E2=94=80=E2=95=
=AF