Subject: Re: crash!
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 10/05/1997 12:09:45
On Sun, 05 Oct 1997 11:53:43 -0700
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:

 > NetBSD/hp300 1.2e + pieces of current <g>
 >
 > I awoke this morning to find
 >
 > panic: bad dir
 > Stopped at	_Debugger0x6: unlk	a6
 > db>
 >
 > What does this mean, and how can I avoid it in the future?
 > I had just installed perl the night before, and everything
 > seemed to be working smoothly.

Ugh.. It means you have a corrupted file system.  I assume that it ran
the file system checks when you rebooted... Hopefully, it corrected
the problem.

You might want to back up that file system.  Also, were there any diagnostics
that might indicate that your disk is starting to go printed on the console?

You might also consider updating your system to really -current.  There
weren't any reports of bad dir panics that I can recall, but there have
been a few bug fixes in the file system code since we went to 1.2G.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935