Subject: 68040
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/17/1997 12:08:39
HI !

I have the chance to buy one or more MC68040 40MHz for ca. DM 120 ( ca. 80$ ), if anyone is interested I could post the dealer's address ( in Berlin, germany )
My intention is to upgrade my 345 to a 380 or whatever, so I have some questions:

- is it possible to run the 040 in the 345 at 40MHz using a 80MHz quartz ? I have heard about a jumper that inserts a waitstate at each memory access cycle, would this be enough ? I think I have 80ns RAMs... ( I'll have a look at them when I change the daughterboard against the 040 )
- will the old BootROM ( Rev. D ) work ?
  - if not - who could send me an apropriate ROM image ?
  - How much would HP charge for it ? ( including oversea shipping... )
- is it possible to upgrade a 320 with a 030 and maybe a new quartz ?
  - does a BootROM exist that supports this combination ?

bye
Michael