Subject: Re: Problems writing bootblock.
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/06/1997 07:58:45
> I'm not totally sure of some of the drive specs (I went to the
> Seagate site and found some info about the drive, but still)

Yeah, those things are pretty useless, aren't they?  They don't even
tell you how many sectors the drive has.  (Fortunately NetBSD reports
this at boot; I wish all OSes were so nice.)

> and is uses Zone Bit recording as well which I trink compilcates
> matters (yes? No?)

AFAIK ZBR is entirely irrelevant to you, except that it means that the
cylinder/track/sector model that Unices are still fixated on is only an
approximation.  I find that you might as well find some numbers that
multiply out to something only slightly less than the sector count
reported at boot and label it with those.  Disks that use ZBR tend to
have big caches on-disk, so being careful with c/t/s locations nowadays
makes a lot less difference than it used to.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca