Subject: Re: hp300 X
To: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
From: Mark Davies <mark@Comp.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/20/1994 09:26:17
	From:  David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
	Date:  Fri, 17 Jun 1994 10:30:10 -0700

> >            If you really feel like fixing a known problem :-) text drawing
> > is really slow compared to the old R4 server.  Mark can give you details,
> > I think he knows how to fix it but just doesn't have time.

> Hmm...  Mark, if you're listening, give me a quick rundown of what you were
> looking at and I'll see if I can't do anything with it.

The difference between the R4 and R5 servers is that the R4 server will cache
common fonts in offscreen memory and use the hardware bitblt to draw them on
the screen.  Loading fonts changed significantly in the R5 release and I never
got around to figuring out how to get the font into the cache.

Assuming no surprises (never wise around here) I'm planning to take a look at
R6 over the next fortnight and may have another look at the fonts while I do
it.

cheers
mark