Subject: Possible uses?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: None <daniele@ncssm.edu>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/08/2001 21:56:59
I'm actually currently using a firend's DC because I can't see getting one
till I can prove I can make this work.  Also, despite it being a cool toy,
I'd kinda like to find a use for this.  The capabilities seem somewhat
limiting though.  What ideas have you people come up with for this?  So far
I've seen/thought of:

MP3 player (been implemented already I believe, though not through BSD?)
Name server (has issues with limited memory = limited caching)
Static webserver w/ pages on CDROM (most web pages want to be updated faster
than that though... maybe something small)
VPN box -- it could easily maintain a few connections, I don't really know
how many.  Can be done with only one network card.

and then the interesting, but hard, one:
standalone video player.  It certainly has the power to play VCDs, can we
get a CD that boots a player into memory and can then be swapped out, or
maybe just plays off an NFS mount?  Also, does the SH4 have the horsepower
to decode DivX?  My PII-350 does, but I don't really know how much memory is
needed and how the floating point capabilities of the SH4 stack up.  Also,
you need good graphics support -- resize needs to be done in hardware. can
the video chip do that?

So, what other uses can this be put to?  Geek coolness is well and good, but
I'd probably end up putting the $150 toward a nicer next computer upgrade,
which is currently looking expensive...

Thanks
Evan Daniel