Subject: Re: Maple bus should be direct config
To: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/19/2001 14:55:23
On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 11:45:46PM +0100, Marcus Comstedt wrote:

 > Ok, does this help supporting hotplugging of units?  Or what benefits
 > do you get from this patch?

Among other things, it tells you that something is plugged into a port,
even if there is no driver for it.  And, it could eventually help port
hot-plugging.

Do you get an interrupt when a Maple device arrives/departs?

 > Just using %s to print di_product_name and di_product_license might
 > not work so well, as these fields are not NUL-terminated, but instead
 > padded with space.  Also, printing the di_product_license might be
 > considered a waste of space.  This information could be made available
 > through procfs or something if you really want it.

procfs isn't appropriate -- we are not Linux :-)

One reason for having the vendor info displayed is that you might
have a more-specific driver for a particular vendor's joystick, for
example, rather than the generic joystick driver.  The vendor name
could be used to match this.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>