Subject: Re: Maximum size for hard disks (and recommendations)
To: John Hauser <jhauser@pobox.com>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/05/2003 12:47:25
--zbGR4y+acU1DwHSi

* John Hauser <jhauser@pobox.com> [2003-12-05 03:30:37]:
> Matt Dainty wrote:
> >
> >I have currently two models in mind from looking at the archives:
> >
> >120GB Maxtor 4R120L0
> >120GB Samsung SV1204H
> >
> >I'm guessing the equivalent 160GB+ models are not going to be that
> >dissimilar with regards to operating characteristics.
>=20
> i've got a WD 200GB running in my qube2. the only problem i had was that=
=20
>  as it ships it's jumpered for cable select. it needs to be jumpered as=
=20
> master for the NetBSD restore CD to work. it cost me a couple of hours=20
> of debugging before i checked the jumper setting.

Does this mean the Qube 2 IDE interface is capable of seeing the whole
disk, i.e. LBA48? As I understand it that limit is at or around
~ 140GB. How do you work around this?

I've had another reply that the trick is to put the bigger disk(s) on a
separate PCI card, but I'm guessing the Qube cannot be configured to
boot from that instead of the onboard controller? I'd rather not get
into the whole 2+ disks/roasted PSU issue, one disk will be plenty.

Cheers

Matt
--=20
"Never rub another man's rhubarb."