Re: Red Pitaya 122-16: kernel reaches init!

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 03:05:54PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> An init(8) error message has overwritten part of the free-page list.
> That is where the address in r2, 0x6163203a or ": ca", comes from:

*snip snip*

> I don't know how this has happened.  Maybe there is a bug in the early
> console driver?

The problem was that member `cn_dev` was not initialized to `NODEV`
(-1), so it was 0.  That matches the major & minor of mem(4).  So the
kernel opened mem(4) in `cnopen` instead of opening the Zynq UART.

Once I fixed that, the kernel started panicking with "no console."  This
was a bit of a mystery---what did it think it was writing the boot
messages to?---until I realized that I hadn't changed the "status" of
&uart0 in my device tree to "okay" from "disabled".  When I did that, I
got a login prompt.

I found that the Red Pitaya board had the same problem your board had
with the ethernet PHY.  I applied your patches from kern/58083 and
made an analogous change to my devicetree.  Now the ethernet works.

The ethernet MAC isn't correct.  On the Red Pitaya boards, board
parameters like the ethernet MAC are stored in an EEPROM.  I think
u-boot can fetch the information from the EEPROM and provide it in the
bootargs.  Shouldn't take long to figure that out.

David

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981