Re: need your advice before new Raspberry Pi purchase

El 21/4/24 a las 20:33, Justin Parrott escribió:
what do you use it for?

Lighttpd Web server, home minidlna film server.

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 2:24 PM Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost <mailto:ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I am thinking about buying a more powerful Raspberry Pi than my actual
    Raspberry Pi ZeroW. I like very much how NetBSD operating system is
    working although I was a bit dissapointed with WIFI driver for the
    builtin WIFI device, I feel that I can control the OS and it is the
    OS I
    was looking for, simple and straightforward without bells and whistles.

    In general NetBSD works fine in the Pi once you get used to it,
    everything makes sense soon, you fell confortable and why not to say, I
    am in a new world after many years using Linux and needed new
    sensations. On the Zero W WIFI bwfm driver did not work well and
    overcome that buying a USB WIFI dongle with RTL 8188EU chip that works
    almost ok (with no channel switching  in the router). Now I am going to
    use only ethernet network connection so WIFI will not be a problem.

    I have been reading
    https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/
    <https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/>
    but information is a bit confusing.

    "As of early 2024, NetBSD does not support the Raspberry Pi 5."

    Reading that I inmediatly discarded the Raspberry Pi 5 choice. Being
    realistic I think It does not work in NetBSD 10 now and I estimate it
    will not work well for perhaps some years. Life is short, I cannot wait
    and so I think RaspberryPi 4 should be my buying target.

    "NetBSD 10"

          "RPI4 general support (but there are issues)"

    Seems explained below.

          "RPI4 ethernet (Broadcom GENETv5) (but the man page for
    genet(4) is
    missing)"

    Can I be sure that ethernet will work fine and reliable? Network speed?

          "builtin bluetooth on RPI3 (RPI0W? RPI4?)"

    Does bluetooth work on the Pi4?

          "builtin WiFi on RPI0W, RPI3 and RPI4 - bwfm(4)"

    Does WIFI bwfm  driver work as badly as in the ZeroW? Not relevant for
    my future use of the Pi 4 cause I will use it through ethernet but that
    will be a bonus, just curious.

          "RPI4 xhci does not work with a straight netbsd-10 install"

    I seems that below is the explanation.

          "RPI4 hardware rng does not work with a straight netbsd-10
    install"

    I seems that below is the explanation.

    The following chapter is very confusing for me:

    "Issues and Workarounds"
    "RPI4 xhci"

    "With the netbsd-10 arm64.img on a RPI4 (most of them), the pci driver
    is missing and therefore xhci will not attach, so the USB ports will
    not
    work. One workaround is to switch to UEFI, but that leads to a 3GB
    memory limit and needing a monitor. Another is to add kernel config.
    One
    can also add the hardware rng. Adding the following to GENERIC64.local
    results in both working; you likely also need a dtb that includes the
    RNG. \todo Explain why this isn't in GENERIC64 or link to a PR.

    GENERIC64

    bcm2838pcie* at fdt?                    # STB PCIe host controller
    bcm2838rng* at fdt?                     # RPI4 RNG

    There is some need to load firmware for the xhci driver, but apparently
    that works, once the above is added"

    Does it mean that using  "traditional booting" you end with non working
    USB ports? Will you even end without keyboard? I mainly will use the Pi
    headless via ssh but need the keyboard in the first configuring steps.

    After switching to UEFI you will make USB ports work but 8 GB
    RapberryPi
    will be reduced to 3 GB only with no workaround? What do "needing a
    monitor" mean? Why?
    If the fix for USB and rng is recompiling the KERNEL, why is not
    enabled
    by default in the standard image?

    "RPI4 UEFI 3 GB"

    "To work around bugs in hardware (that may or may not be fixed in
    recent
    RPI4) and because not all OSes have workarounds, the UEFI firmware's
    default is to limit RAM to 3GB. NetBSD 10 can be used with more, so
    this
    needs to be configured in UEFI."

    That should be explained more in detail for newcomers.

    Last questions:

    Do GPIO pins work ok?

    Does I2C work? That is important for me cause I plan to read some
    sensors.

    Does HDMI output work or should I use serial console? traditional boot
    vs UEFI difference in this matter?

    What is your final opinion about NetBSD in that board? Are there better
    supported boards perhaps?

    Many thanks and sorry for so many questions, just I want to be sure
    that
    I am going to make a good and useful purchase. If I purchase a Rpi 4
    instead of Rpi 5 to have NetBSD support and It does not work ok, it
    will
    be a absolute nonsense.

    I appreciate your work very much and your comments and advice will be
    welcome and very valuable for me.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ramiro.

--