Re: epoch32 Fails to Boot on psion 5 MX

On 15 May 2014 16:46, Tom Jones <jones%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:
On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 12:06:16AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> I think kiyohara%kk.iij4u.or.jp@localhost could answer better :),

I think so too and I will email kiyohara directly.

> but that looks
> to be the message from stand/e32boot/exe/e32boot.cpp if the detected
> model does not match "SERIES5 R1" or "SERIES5mx". Maybe you have a
> slightly different 5MX?

Looking into this and I certainly do have a different version string.

> Does your boot report anything earlier before the message you've
> quoted - maybe a line with ">> Model ..."?

The model detection seems to be getting a bit of noise at the end of the string.
I have seen:
        SERIES5mx`
        SERIES5mx``
        SERIES5mxÆ

I modified the boot loader to try and boot as a 5mx even when the check fails.
This allows the kernel to take over, but I only end up with a a screen of noise.

http://i.imgur.com/dGMQ31U.jpg

Trying to boot with a serial cable doesn't give me any output ether.

I also tried a friends 5 series and cannot get it to boot furher than I do on
the 5mx.

How much memory is in the 5? In http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2013/04/21/msg022569.html its mentioned that greater than 4M is required to boot.

For the 5MX does the output from http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/kiyohara/epoc32/euhal/euhal.exe show anything interesting?

Also - did you boot netbsd+wmlcd rather that just netbsd - booting netbsd gives the same garbled screen for me, but netbsd+wmlcd shows the dmesg down to a "root device: " prompt...

CC'ing kiyohara as also reporting machine details for my three devices :)

1) Psion 5MX
RomVersion 1.05(250)
RAM 16384
ROM 10240
EKERN 0x100000ba
ECOMM 0x10000079 0x100000ae
netbsd+wmlcd boots to root device: " on display

2) Psion 5MX
RomVersion 1.05(260)
RAM 16384
ROM 16384
EKERN 0x100000ba
ECOMM 0x10000079 0x100000ae
netbsd+wmlcd boots to root device: " on display

3) Psion 5
RomVersion 1.01(145)
RAM 8192
ROM 6144
Framebuffer 0x7fe00000
EKERN 0x100000b9
ECOMM 0x10000079 0x100000ac
netbsd+wmlcd boots, then top half of screen switches to different pattern (I believe as expected)

Not tested with serial :)