Subject: Re: /bin/sh (?) problem on md-root on ZAO425
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/15/2003 15:54:09
On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 02:51  PM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> I was pondering over related issues only yesterday.  In particular we
> have
> some ARM ports which are running builds of the standard libraries that
> are
> restricted to/tuned for running on the lowest common denominator ARM
> chip
> (substantially ARM2) even though those platforms will never be
> implemented

Actually, I think our GCC defaults to ARM6 codegen, and the ARM2 port
simply agrees to trap and emulate instructions present on ARM6 but not
ARM2.

But, to speak to your broader point, yah, I agree, it's an issue.  At
Wasabi, we hand-wave this, because we ship different binary
distributions for each specific target platform, and compile them with
the appropriate compiler flags.