Subject: Re: NetBSD-current on Amiga?
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@gemini.msu.montana.edu>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/08/2006 11:53:15
>  I'm looking at it, and will hopefully figure out what the problem is and
> fix it for the 4.0 release.

It's apparently some default in gcc which has changed. Perhaps -m68020
needs to be explicitely set as the default so that 64 bit operations are
not generated. The alternative of making -68060 sets isn't very tidy. But
if anyone wants -m68060 built sets, please let me know.

>  I tried the -current kernel again, and found that it wasn't hung - it
> was just having even more pagefaults than my 4.0_BETA kernel.  The
> 4.0_BETA kernel would take 3-4 seconds to run the 'w' command, and the
> -current kernel was taking several minutes(!).  I just needed to be a bit
> more patient :-)  [I had over 10 million faults just starting /sbin/init
> and /bin/sh (actually bash), which seems a little excessive to say the
> least.]

That was where I was stuck before. I guessed that that was the problem,
but I didn't have the time to wait for the system to finish booting.

What kind of faults are you seeing mostly?

>  I took a quick looks at the diffs between 3.1 and 4.0, but didn't spot
> any glaring differences.  I'll need to go through them again, looking a
> little closer.

Well, I think it'd be more of an issue of what's different in the
toolchain between the two.

>  Another thing I noticed is that if I enter the ddb debugger a few times
> and get a traceback, it seems to get programs started quicker.  The
> problem appears to occur primarily when programs start up.

Interesting...

John Klos
--
Today is the day that my destiny calls me!
   Meowth