Subject: Re: Which NetScape?
To: Matt Harrell <mharrell@sojourn1.sojourn.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/04/1996 17:11:26
On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Matt Harrell wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, David Gilbert wrote:
>
> > 	For the Amiga, you should be looking for Sun3 executables on
> > the net (or even better, NetBSD Sun3, or NetBSD Amiga).  You can't run
> > BSDI executables or Sun-sparc executables since they are for different
> > processors --- even if someone made it so that you could run them, it
> > would be gosh awful slow (Remember Pc-Task?).
> >
> > 	Anyways, I don't think that you'll find a version of Netscape
> > that you can run on NetBSD Amiga.  However, I have heard that there is
> > a Mosaic compiled for the Sun3 (Mosaic requires Motif, which is not
> > available for the NetBSD Amiga system, is available for SunOS-Sun3).
> > I hear that there's a binary out there somewhere.
> >
> > 	Eventually, there should be a 'lesstif' version of Mosaic
> > working --- but don't go holding your breath.
> >
> > Dave.
>
> You're kidding.  You mean to tell me (us) that there is NO graphical web
> browser that I will be able to run on NetBSD on my Amiga?  There isn't
> one that can be compiled?  That will put a serious damper on my
> intentions to install NetBSD on my system.

	There are versions of mosaic (& chimera?) compiled up for
	NetBSD/amiga on the german ftp sites (I'm sure someone more
	knowledgeable than me could say where, but I'm place
	wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de as a good bet :)

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
 >=- OpenBSD http://www.openbsd.org. Free un*x for {sparc,i386,m68k,...} -=<
       <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>