Subject: Re: opteron 246 system
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Kurt Schreiner <ks@ub.uni-mainz.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/19/2006 17:14:02
On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 11:28:07AM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> >So this is pretty much all voodoo for me at this level, and I know I
> >don't know what ACPI is all about, but an older rev of the same
> >motherboard boots just fine with an MPBIOS 3.99.8 kernel. That's
> >what's so bloody annoying...
> I suspect that PR 34186 could be the culprit. At least, this problem
> seems to be either a problem with bad memory mappings, or a bad
> ACPI/BIOS call. PR 34186 describes a problem where the msgbuf would be
> mapped but only partly backed by actual memory, causing a reboot when
> the boot messages walk out of it.
Hm, memory mappings: my ultra40 is ok, when I set "pci mem hole" to
"software". Changing this to "hardware" gives a "running system with
_verry_ slow disk access". I don't remember the name of the third
possibility to set "pci mem hole", but using that leads to a system
crashing during boot... Just another data point...
Chris, does your bios allow playing w/ "pci mem hole"?

Kurt