Subject: Re: Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Damon Brodie <ml@nomad.brodiefamily.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 11/01/2005 15:48:19
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:48:45PM +0100, Juan RP wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:35:19 -0500
> Damon Brodie <ml@nomad.brodiefamily.org> wrote:
>
> > Yes, sk is included in my kernel config (I've added that below for
> > reference).  As you can see in my previous message with the dmesg
> > output, the ethernet interface doesn't even show up as "not
> > configured".  I'm not sure what the problem is.
>
> There are some things I'd change in your kernel config, for example:
>
>  * You are using both MPACPI and MPBIOS, one of them is enough
>    (same for MPACPI_SCANPCI and MPBIOS_SCANPCI).
>  * You are missing some acpi devices, for example npx(4).
>
> Maybe the problem for the onboard ethernet is a conflict between
> MPBIOS_SCANPCI and MPACPI_SCANPCI.
>
> Can you try with only MPBIOS* or MPACPI*?

I've tried nine different combinations (or so):

1) (The original)
options		MPACPI
options		MPACPI_SCANPCI
options		MPBIOS
options		MPBIOS_SCANPCI

2)
options         MPACPI
options         MPACPI_SCANPCI
#options        MPBIOS
#options        MPBIOS_SCANPCI

3)
#options        MPACPI
#options        MPACPI_SCANPCI
options         MPBIOS
options         MPBIOS_SCANPCI

4)
options         MPACPI
#options        MPACPI_SCANPCI
options         MPBIOS
options         MPBIOS_SCANPCI

5)
options         MPACPI
options         MPACPI_SCANPCI
options         MPBIOS
#options        MPBIOS_SCANPCI

The above were all done with the BIOS set to "no PnP OS installed".
Note that on #3, the system started spewing lost interrupt messages
on the viaide, and it didn't get to a spot where the filesystems were mounted.

Then I repeated 2 through 5 with the BIOS set to yes on the "PnP OS installed"

the sk ethernet didn't show up in any of the tests.

On the npx(4) piece, that isn't part of the GENERIC kernel in amd64,
though I see it in i386.  I tried adding it to my amd64 kernel, but
the build failed with "unknown device" or something.